Saturday, April 6, 2013

Family Reunion

Today we had the pleasure of meeting up with some of our extended family members.  It was the day for the annual Brooks' Family Reunion.  My grandfather Spurgeon Brooks (Pawpaw) had 6 sisters and 1 brother.  Every year, the descendants of their parents all get together at our church for lunch.  Sunnybrook Farm is just down the road from the church and is the original homeplace of my great-grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. C.C. Brooks.  My grandfather is 91 years old and he is the only sibling still living.  I cherish my grandparents.  They have provided a rock-solid foundation for their 4 children, 9 grandchildren, and now 16 (almost 17) great-grandchildren.  It's always great to see cousins and extended family members!  Today, our gathering was small in number, but we got updates on a lot of families who were not able to be there.

Where families gather, there is always good food to eat!  I swear, I think I have gained 10 pounds this week - between my birthday, Easter, Charlie's birthday, the family reunion, and just having extra time to spend baking/cooking/going out to eat, I have had a little bit of everything this week.  It is definitely time to get back on the healthy & sensible eating plan - and it wouldn't hurt if I could find 30 minutes to walk or run each day too.

But, until that healthy plan kicks in, I wanted to share with you two recipes - these are the dishes I took to the family reunion today.  They are hand-me-down recipes from my Great-Aunt Helen and my Aunt Judy.  They are 2 of my faves!  Technically, they could fall under the guidelines for my sensible and healthy eating plan.  Afterall, they both contain a fruit! Ha!



Aunt Helen's Blueberry Crunch
2 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 can crushed pineapple
1/2 c. sugar
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
chopped pecans, optional

1. Place blueberries in the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish.  Top with crushed pineapple (and its juice).
2.  Sprinkle 1/2 c. sugar over the top of the fruit.
3.  Pour cake mix evenly on top of the fruit and sugar.
4.  Then drizzle melted butter over the cake mix.
5.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c. sugar and chopped pecans.
6.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until bubbling along edges or until golden.
*This is AWESOME with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!!!!!



Aunt Judy's Chicken & Wild Rice Salad
1 box (6oz.) Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice
2 c. cooked chicken, diced
1/4 c. mayonaise
1/2 c. light sour cream
1/2 c. celery, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. dried cranberries*
1/2 c. cashews*
* - you can add more or less, depending on your taste.

1.  Cook rice according to directions on the box.  Let cool.
2. Mix mayo, sour cream, celery, and onion.  Add rice and chicken and mix well.
3.  Add cranberries and cashews to taste.  Season with salt/pepper, if necessary.
**This can be served warm or chilled.

These recipes always get rave reviews and I can thank my wonderful aunts for sharing these awesome recipes with me!  I am so thankful for my family - some of my best memories are filled with childhood adventures with my cousins, my aunts and uncles, and my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment